The City of Aurora is loaded with fun tourist attractions, candid locals and other amazing entertainment centers like Hollywood Casino. From delightful seasonal festivals and events to array of beautiful places to explore - Aurora has lots going on all year round. Did you know that Aurora is also called 'The City of Lights'.
Image by Cbradshaw at English Wikipedia [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons
Interesting Facts about Aurora!
- Aurora is located in Kane County.
- Aurora has estimated population of over 199,963.
- The city is in Central Standard Time zone.
- Aurora is also called 'The City of Lights'
- Aurora was founded by New York natives Samuel McCarty and Joseph in 1837.
- Aurora was originally called McCarty Mills.
- The famous Fox TV show “Prison Break,” was shot in Aurora.
- In 2012, the largest ball of masking tape in the world was made in Aurora.
- The Aurora Public Library offers a 3D printer and digital media lab.
- In 1881, Aurora was the country's first city to implement an all-electric street light system, thus given the name 'the City of Lights'.
- Politically, Aurora is divided into ten wards.
- Generally, Aurora is divided into 3 regions - The East Side, The West Side and Fox Valley.
- The racial makeup of Aurora is White, Native American, African American, Pacific Islander, Asian American and other races.